Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Readings For Week Three

1. Introduction to Linux: A Hands On Guide:
The first reading was about the Linux operating system which I don't know that much about. I've heard that Linux and Apple are similar but I could (and probably am) totally wrong on that account. After reading the article, it seems like it was a system most often used by programmers. I thought it was very interesting that the system can be downloaded from the internet for free without buying a CD or anything like that. Also, that it can edited and changed by anyone though I don't quite understand how that works, probably because I have never done any computer programming. Some of the cons of Linux mentioned in the article are that, while so many people are able to edit the system, this leads to many options and being confused as to which one to explore. It seems more of a system that would be easily adaptable to people who had more computer and programming experience. I saw the mention of OpenOffice and GIMP software, both of which I use on my computer and did not know were created by Linux.

2. What is Mac OS?
The article on Mac OS X was very interesting to me, as I use a mac. I used to have a windows computer and I can say that I am a lot happier with my mac. I have never had such fondness for a computer in my life. This is all beside the point though. The article goes into a lot of technical aspects of the system, it's evolution from it's original program and it's different command processes. I would agree with writers comments about the operating system in general. I find that Windows tends to be "busy" as the author puts it, though I never thought to put it like that but after I read it, it is a very good word choice to describe it because windows is always doing something, usually something I don't want it to do.

3. Mac OS: Wikipedia
This article was very similar to the last article with an emphasis on the features and history of apple. There was a description of the different versions of Apple, leading up to newest version recently released.

4. An Update on the Windows Roadmap
This article was an update (obviously) on Windows progress with Vista and XP operating systems. There was some clarification on security and capability with these programs. Security updates were made to Windows Vista. There is work being done on Windows 7 which is a new version of the operating system. The focus seems to be to make more applications available and usable on the system and to increase stability and security.

No comments:

Post a Comment