Thursday, September 17, 2009

Readings For Week Four

1. This article was a wikipedia entry on Databases. It goes into how they are made and how they function. There are a lot of different types of database models that organize data. I sort of understand how all of this works but with computers, the actual programming and steps taken to do something like create a program go over my head. Someone can tell me that this are the way it works but I don't think I'd entirely understand how all of this works.

2. Introduction To Metadata:
I find it vaguely amusing that there is data about data. There has to be some obsessive compulsive person out there coming up with these things. This article is about the use of metadata and how it is becoming increasingly digitized as are most things these days. People have been trying to find a way to catalog all of this data and make it accessible to the public. While I read this article, I sort of lost track of which data was which. In the section where it mentions that students are taught to look for metadata when looking at a website to authenticate it, it almost sounds like Metadata could be something like a stamp of approval from a trusted source of information as well. Metadata could also be things like catalogs. The charts in the article helped in understanding what they were discussing.

3. An Overview of The Dublin Core Data Model
I have to admit that in the first sentence when the author described the purpose of the Dublin Core Data Model, it sounded like a lot of buzz words to me. It didn't actually say anything that I could ascertain except that they deal with information in some way or another. I'm assuming they are a company that creates databases for other companies but I could be wrong as I didn't entirely understand the article.

3 comments:

  1. In response to reading three- I completely agree. I did not think the article was necessarily meant for the likes of us (or at least me), as most of it went over my head. Clearly it was some kind of database system that has been built, but beyond that I am somewhat lost in what the database is. I can read the functions and understand them, but I can relate them to the other articles we read on databases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The third reading was a bit confusing, I will give you that. But I felt that in actually sitting down and really studying all of the code, I understood what the article was trying to say. It was not written with us in mind, but I found it useful in terms of helping me understand the metadata article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to number one, I agree with what you thought. The article gave me a pretty good basic idea about different types of database models and how they are organized, but the technical details of exactly how different databases work went over my head too. It is probably meant for readers who already have a firm grasp on the technical side of things and how they work. The same really goes for a lot of these readings with me - I'll understand the broad idea but not a whole lot of the details. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete