Thursday, October 15, 2009

Readings for Week Seven... or is it eight now...

How Internet Infrastructure Works:
This was an informative article on how the internet works. It was very accessible to the average reader and explained everything really well. I liked the diagrams. They were helpful with seeing how connections are established between networks. It really clears up how the internet infrastructure actually works because we've been discussing this idea in other classes and it never entirely made sense to me.

Dismantling Integrated Library Systems:
This article addresses the problem of reassembling a new library system. Libraries serve a larger amount of people because of the internet so they must find a way to accommodate the online users. Changes in this system can be difficult and many times libraries want to build their system from scratch rather than adjust the previously existing system. I didn't entirely understand the whole article but I can see that libraries have a lot to think about when it comes to changing their systems.

Inside the Google Machine:
This talk was very interesting. I enjoyed hearing about the different projects that google works on. The world map of all of the people using google was very cool. They seemed they were very supportive of creativity and making information available to people, just like libraries. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think google necessarily has to threaten the existence of libraries and I don't think it takes away from them. I was surprised by how interesting was and I ended up watching quite a few of the other talks. They were all eye-opening.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Christa,

    I too didn't really understand the second article we read. I waded through it and just basically wrote the same thing as you about it. The article seemed to talk about problems with ILS, but gave no real answers other than change is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree the second article was a bit over my head. I also agree that Google does not really threaten libraries. However, I see why some people are concerned, when you needed information about a particular topic before the internet and Google were popular, you may go to the library. I think this issue has been around since I was a little kid, and libraries are still doing fine, so I see no reason that they should not continue to be fine.

    ReplyDelete